People scarf these right down!
- 1 V2 pounds (680 g) mushrooms, wiped clean
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) butter
- ‘/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 ounces (280 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 ounces (115 g) cream cheese
- ‘/4 teaspoon pepper
- ‘/2 teaspoon salt or Vege-Sal
- 1 V2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ‘/4 cup (40 g) Parmesan cheese, plus a little extra for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Wipe the mushrooms clean, and remove the stems. Set the caps aside, and chop the stems fairly fine.
In a large, heavy skillet, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the chopped stems, and the onion. Saute these until the mushroom bits are changing color, and the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic, stir it up, and saute for another couple of minutes.
While that’s happening, dump your thawed spinach into a strainer, and press all the water out of it that you can. Now stir it into the mushroom-onion mixture.
Next, stir in the cream cheese. When it’s melted, add the pepper, salt, Worcestershire, and Parmesan.
Stuff the spinach/mushroom mixture into the mushroom caps. Arrange the stuffed caps in a baking pan as you stuff them.
When they’re all stuffed, sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese over them to make them look nice. Add enough water to just barely cover the bottom of the pan.
Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
YIELD: About 40 pieces
Each with: 24 calories; 2 g fat; 1 g protein; 1 g carbohydrate; trace dietary fiber;
1 g usable carbo